Sunday, March 31, 2024

From the Terror Years to the Academy of Dramatic Arts - Interview by Maria Teresa De Donato

 From the Terror Years to the Academy of Dramatic Arts

 

Interview with Giovanni Carta, Actor, Screenwriter, Director

 

 

by Maria Teresa De Donato

 

 


 

Palermitan by birth and Roman by adoption, Giovanni Carta, married to the Catanian actress and acting coach Emanuela Trovato, has a "very impressive" CV, as they say where I live. Giovanni boasts a high-level professional training that, in fact, spans fourteen years and includes various diplomas, specialization courses, acting workshops, and four years of singing.

He defines himself as "Shy and curious at the same time, taciturn and noisy at the same time."

 

Let's get to know him better.

 

Enjoy the reading!


 




 

MTDD: Hello, Giovanni, and welcome! I'm happy to have you as my guest today.

 

G.C.: Hi Maria Teresa, I thank you—warm greetings to all your readers.

 

 

MTDD: Giovanni, let's start with your shyness, curiosity, and taciturn, noisy nature. Tell us a little about how these characteristics have manifested themselves since you were a child.

 

G.C.: Understanding your true essence takes a lifetime; I'll tell you that even today, I am amazed and dealing with parts of myself that I didn't think I knew. I was undoubtedly a taciturn and curious child, not always at ease with the world around me. Having always been fortunate enough to cultivate a passion for theater and cinema, I often immersed myself in them to the point of having no other interest whatsoever. And that's when I got loud, full of energy, and super stimulated.


 



 

MTDD: Parents often have high expectations of their children. They visualize them as future and famous lawyers, doctors, or engineers early on. Without taking anything away from these authoritative and distinguished professions, they are sometimes disappointed, or at least surprised, when they are forced to face reality and accept that their children's interests, talents, and passions push them in a completely different direction. This has been the case with you, too.

 

Would you like to talk to us about it?

 

G.C.: As my mother says, I have always wanted to be an actor and have demonstrated this desire; no other passion has so much love, attention, and study dedicated to it. It wasn't easy in my youth to make my family understand that being an actor could also be a profession. I insisted that I cultivate this desire in all the little things accompanying my growth. They had to give in; they had no choice because I gave myself no other choice.




 

MTDD: From the Terror Years in Palermo, where you were born and lived your childhood and adolescence, your love for acting took you to Rome.

Tell us about this 'transition' and any 'adjustments' you had to make to adapt to the mentality and, above all, the frenetic pace of my hometown.

 

G.C.: My hometown, Palermo, was very different from the city it is today when I was a teenager. The city was going through hard years dotted with victims of the mafia and did not offer essential opportunities to deal with this great passion of mine. I arrived in Rome at the age of twenty and there, attended the "Silvio D'Amico" National Academy of Dramatic Arts, one of the most prestigious schools where, to gain access, one must pass several selections; I found myself managing my life alone in a big, demanding city that offered a lot of stimulation and where I made an extraordinary discovery. Spring exists!

In March, it was already summer in Sicily; at Easter, we almost always went to the seaside, but I experienced the wonderful spring breeze in Rome...


 



 

MTDD: What does being an Actor mean to you, and how do you experience this profession, which is as artistic as it is chaotic, uncontrollable, and, in some respects, equally unpredictable?

 

G.C: I welcome everything you just said with love. But all this chaos and unpredictability require great discipline and mental and emotional rigor. Always make choices—that is, do what makes you feel good. And understand as soon as possible that you can't please everyone.

 

 

MTDD: How do you reconcile work commitments as an Actor, Screenwriter, and Director, and family responsibilities, considering that Tancredi, your splendid and sweet child, is still very young and needs to be looked after?

 

G.C.: Tancredi has priority over everything at this moment in my life. Emanuela and I are very lucky. Tancredi is a very mature child who can keep up with our commitments. He is curious and feels like he is at an amusement park! Besides, we always alternate long absences with long presences, and then who knows if we're doing the right thing! We try to do our best!

 

 

MTDD: Without diminishing the role that many great Masters and illustrious colleagues you have met have played in your life, with whom you have worked and who have enriched you humanly and professionally, would you like to talk to us about your experience with Andrea Camilleri, your relationship with him, and what you learned thanks to him?

 

G.C.: Andrea was one of my teachers at the Theater Academy. He used to pay special attention to all students of Sicilian origin; one thing that he and I often did after lessons was to walk in silence, perhaps first sharing the impressions of the lesson just taken, followed by a long – but complete – silence which then culminated with a beer at the bar. I have been fortunate throughout my career to act in many of his plays on stage and television; there is so much magic in his words, full of so many hidden emotions that are nice to tell!


 



 

MTDD: For five years, you have been the Leading Actor, Producer, and Director of a Sicilian monologue written by Luana Rondinelli – A Testa Sutta (= Upside down), thanks to which you had great satisfaction, prizes, participation in prestigious festivals, and a partnership with Luana that has strengthened over the years and will probably see you together again for new and exciting projects.

 

Can you tell us something about this monologue?

 

G.C.: A Testa Sutta is my artistic child; it debuted fifteen days before Tancredi was born. It has accompanied me throughout Italy for nine years. It is a well-written play (it won the Fersen prize for best contemporary dramaturgy) and a wonderful world to tell the diversity of the soul. It's a 50-minute acting test in which I play eight characters by myself, where I act upside down for 20 minutes (I won the Teatri Riflessi award for best actor), and the journey continues; I do it, and I will still want to do it over and over again.

 

 

MTDD: Last year, you were the protagonist of the second season of the German series Barbarians (Barbarians), in which you played the part of the Roman emperor Tiberius, acting in German and Latin.

 

Would you like to tell us about this experience?

 

G.C.: Wow!!! It was a fantastic experience! It was an actual Tower of Babel, with German and Italian actors, a Polish troupe, and a great experience. In addition to such a beautiful and multifaceted role, I had the tiring opportunity to act in German and, above all, in a language I had never used before, which is Latin! The cold of Krakow, Covid, the horses... We had them all, but I learned a lot. It was a unique experience!

 

 

MTDD: Giovanni, mentioning all the activities you have carried out in the theatre, on television, at the cinema, on the radio, and in advertising would be impossible. I would be pleased, however, if, before leaving us, you would tell us something about your teaching activity, which I know is another great passion of yours.

 

G.C.: Teaching is a privilege. It's kind of studying twice! Dealing with the passions of the younger generations is certainly a way to make you a contemporary actor. We actors need to be the mirror of the times, to be litmus tests of our society. Seeing the acting students who commit themselves and put themselves on the line by experiencing the small and big crises our profession encounters at any age always awakens in me that innate and never-dormant curiosity...

 

 

MTDD: Do you have any ongoing projects that you wish to mention without revealing too much?

 

G.C.: I will soon start filming a new film, Biopic, on the life of the great Rosa Balistrieri, singer of Sicily's deepest soul, and then... I'll tell you a little later. I like to be a little superstitious!

 

 

MTDD: Thank you, Giovanni, for participating in this interview of mine.

 

How can readers who wish to follow you in your activities or contact you do so?

 

G.C.: Thank you, Maria Teresa. In the meantime, I invite your Calabrian readers, and not only them, to come and see my A Testa Sutta in Catanzaro on April 9th. They can also follow my activities via my social pages on Facebook and Instagram.

Thank you so much for your attention, kindness, and availability. I wish you luck and a warm greeting to all your readers. See you soon!