Friday, July 9, 2021

Spirituality and Creativity to Proclaim the Beauty of Life - Interview with Salvatore Domolo - by Maria Teresa De Donato

 

Spirituality and Creativity to Proclaim the Beauty of Life

Interview with Salvatore Domolo

by Maria Teresa De Donato

 


Today I have the pleasure and honor of introducing you to a very special person: Salvatore Domolo.

Salvatore is a very humble man who, had I met him, would have qualified at best as a Floral Designer and at most as the author of a few books.

By carefully reading his biography and doing other research on the net, I discovered that there is much more to this man: a depth of thought, a very high level of knowledge and awareness, and an inner richness that, often and paradoxically, are the result of the sufferings experienced, of the trials passed, and the consequent lessons learned.

There is still much to say about him, but I want Salvatore himself to reveal himself by making us participants in his spiritual life and not, and, above all, in his extraordinary creativity.

 


 

MTDD: Salvatore, welcome to my Blog and Virtual Cultural Salon, and thank you for agreeing to participate in this interview.

SD: Thank you Maria Teresa for inviting me and for the esteem you have towards me.

 

MTDD: I am in love with your creations and paintings on glass, but before we begin exploring this wonderful activity of yours, I would like you to introduce yourself to our readers by starting to tell us about your childhood.

SD: I was born in a small town on Lake Orta and I lived my childhood and adolescence in the family home, in this fairy-tale place full of natural stimuli. The domestic vegetable garden, the garden, and above all the woods adjacent to the large nineteenth-century house contributed to my inner formation, arousing a profound interiority that from my childhood has been transformed into creativity. At the age of 8, watching a florist setting up floral arrangements for a wedding, the desire to create floral arrangements exploded in me. From that moment on, every occasion was good to express my inner garden with flowers and leaves.

 



MTDD: I know that when you were very young, at the age of 14 you entered the seminary.

Did you continue to cultivate your passion there too?

SD: Yes, I continued to cultivate this passion of mine by setting up floral decorations for special occasions. Once I became a priest, I even strengthened it by making it a spiritual tool.

 

MTDD: How did you live your years as a priest?

SD: I was an uncomfortable and revolutionary priest. At 38, I graduated in Communication Sciences, writing a thesis on the anthropology of floral language. This thesis allowed me to summarize my three great passions: nature, the evangelical message of freedom, and floral art as a tool to announce the beauty of life.

 

MTDD: Are there other sectors or ways in which you were able to use these great passions of yours and your studies?

SD: Certainly. The studies I undertook, the passion for flowers, my free vision, sought after and suffered in the inner depths, allowed me to carry out conferences, spiritual encounters, and simple dialogues on the fundamental theme of the Wood, the Tree, and the Flower as the main archetypes to know yourself and enter into solidarity with the whole.

 

MTDD: Very beautiful, poetic, and equally profound this thought of yours which also reveals a path of personal growth crowned by the achievement of greater Awareness.

Would you like to tell us about it?

SD: The Awareness of the 2 ethical principles – self-knowledge and solidarity with everything – allowed me to finally free myself, after 15 years of profound interior research, from the priestly ministry, abandoning the Catholic Church to embark on a mystical path, completely free from religious schemes.

This new life allowed me, albeit with great effort and suffering, to rework great interior themes, thus allowing me to strengthen and transmit the awareness of natural archetypes (Wood, Tree, Flower), to enrich her floral creative experience by becoming a Floral Designer and to help the people I meet to find within themselves the golden thread of their creativity.

 

MTDD: What were the biggest difficulties, the biggest obstacles to overcome during your journey?

SD: First of all, the perception of being completely alone while facing the great inner transformation, distancing myself from the great pre-established religious and social systems. To make the choices I lived, I had to distance myself, and even when I would be talking to people I felt that they could not understand the internal journey that is so arduous.

Another great difficulty was separating religion from spirituality, being a priest from my inner depth; I even had to get to an atheist experience to be able to remove all the rubble that lurked in the unconscious, suffocating the soul.

The greatest difficulty was the liberation from the infinite spiritual proposals that fill our time: I read everything and I relied on gurus, shamans, practices of all kinds to then understand that all these formulas are new "drugs" that do not allow us to simply listen to our own heart. By getting rid of all these "Harpies" that try to take over our free will and soul it is possible to achieve the simplicity of life. Here, emptying ourselves of all these idols was and is the greatest difficulty.

Another great challenge is accepting that you always have to start everything from scratch. Life is a continuous transformation in the present and basically what has been, no longer exists… It is not easy to have that enormous freedom that allows you to abandon the past. We probably age precisely because we can't get rid of this aspect, we can't let go of the dead cells.

 

MTDD: Where did your inner rebirth take place: at home with your parents in a familiar environment or elsewhere?

SD: No. I experienced this new inner synthesis in Tenerife where I wrote my second book with the provocative and evocative title "in nomine patris". In this publication of mine, written almost like a river in flood, I recounted my life by reworking a profound and healthy critique of religions and the political-social pyramid concept.

Thanks to the profound experience gained and through a careful analysis, I have described, having reached full awareness of it, the "macho" scheme that hides behind this suffocating experience of religions and in particular of the Catholic religion.

 


MTDD: While you were working on your book, did you experiment with other techniques to express your creativity even more fully, or did you concentrate on writing?

SD: While I was tackling the drafting of this book of mine, I recovered a creative experience that I had lived in my youth: painting on glass. However, it was only in 2017, in a period of deep family suffering, that I reached the full awareness that I had to surrender to life and immerse myself in the path of creativity through glass painting.

From that moment on, everyday life was transformed into a total dedication to painting and I discovered that this work became a dance with my Soul.

 

MTDD: Extraordinary conclusion that you have reached! Would you like to elaborate on this thought of yours?

SD: Gladly. Thanks to this inner journey I finally reached the full awareness that "the birds of the sky do not sow and do not reap because God provides them with food" (Gospel of Matthew – Chapter 6, Verse 26) This led me to a drastic decision: that of living in the pleasantness of painting without worrying about tomorrow ...

My life has thus been transformed into a garden of delights that allows me to continue to renew myself internally while enjoying the creative beauty, as well as having accepted the task of bringing LIGHT simply by creating symbolic lanterns.

 

MTDD: Hence, a Floral Designer but also and above all a Bearer of Light. Thank you, Salvatore, for having participated in this interview and above all for sharing with us so many interesting points on what your path to personal growth and development has been and also to a total inner rebirth.

How can readers who wish to contact you, buy your publications, or even order your beautiful glass creations enriched by your beautiful paintings, do so?

I can be contacted by email: Sdomolo@hotmail.com

Or on Facebook and Instagram as Salvatore Domolo

Or by calling 389 8811968

Heartfelt thanks Maria Teresa for this beautiful conversation. I believe we all seek one thing: the Light. I hope these simple words remind us of our goal; we are trees looking for the Sun and as happens in the woods, we also try to help us find the best path to let ourselves be warmed and illuminated by the eternal Light, This Light loves, does not judge, is not interested in the results, but simply wants to shine through each one of us.

Thanks to you and to those who will read these words with the hope of finding a ray of their inner Light.