Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Italian-American Writers Community: Being an Amazing Leader - Interview with Tiziano Thomas Dossena - by Maria Teresa De Donato

 

Italian-American Writers Community:

Being an Amazing Leader

Interview with Tiziano Thomas Dossena

by Maria Teresa De Donato


 

One of the most exciting experiences I had so far in the United States is becoming part of the Italian-American Writers Community.

Today I am very happy and honored to host Tiziano Thomas Dossena, who has been very active since he moved to the States, thus becoming one of the main pillars of our Italian-American Community.

Tiziano has a very impressive biography for he has kept himself quite busy over the years. However, instead of listing all his accomplishments – literary and otherwise – I would rather prefer to let him talk about them.

 

MTDD: Hi Tiziano and welcome to my Virtual and Cultural Salon. It’s a pleasure meeting with you today.

TD: I am honored to meet you today and to be interviewed by you.

 

MTDD: Tiziano, Why don’t you start by introducing yourself to our readers and explaining how and why you ended up moving to the United States?

TD: I came to the United States in 1968 with my parents. My father was a renowned artist and wanted to take a chance in America. He did well, but Italy ‘called him’ and he returned to the motherland in 1976. I wrote a first book on his work (The World as an Impression, the Landscapes of Emilio Giuseppe Dossena) this year and a full biography will be published by the end of the year…By 1977, I had completed 2 Bachelors and one Associate and wanted to go to Medical school, so I left for Italy. It was a great experience, but I never completed my studies in Medicine. I had gotten married in 1979 with my college sweetheart and had an import/export agency to run. It was too intense and the traveling took a toll since I had to attend to various medical and dental conventions all over the world. So, when my father passed in 1987, since my mother-in-law lived in New York, I returned with my wife and my first child William to USA. It was my second emigration from Italy…

 


MTDD: You hold several degrees in different fields. Have you always been involved in the Publishing industry or you previously held other positions in more technical fields to make a living?

TD: Well, I have a B.A in Italian, a B.S in Liberal Studies, and a B.A in Environmental Science. It may sound confusing, but there is logic to it. The Italian and Liberal Studies gave me the basis for my publishing activities, while the Environmental Science degree, enhanced by an Associate in Mathematics, an Associate in Environmental Technology and two certificates in Building Technology gave me the tools to perform well as a building engineer for over 30 years… I worked in a research center for the NYNEX Company, which then became Verizon, for over 16 years, then 11 years with UBS bank at the largest open trading center in the world, and finally the last two years at Madison Square Garden. Having the financial security of that job gave me the opportunity to run L’Idea Magazine for the past 31 years without any constrains or pressure related to the economic aspect. That also allowed me to become an editor without any major concerns about income and focusing instead on the preciousness and validity of the books I wrote, edited, and published.

 

MTDD: Your life is strictly connected to Art in general and especially to writing, music, and sculpture. Over the years, you have received many awards, nominations, and prizes.

Tell us about them.

TD: It all started with a third prize for sculpture at the “Biennale di Boniprati in 1978”.  I confess, though, that I have not produced any more statues since those years… Additional awards and nominations were won on in the following years, for poetry, journalism, and fiction. Among those worth noting, the first prize for essays at the “De Finibus Terrae” contest; the second prize for poetry at “Voci Nostre;” the first prize for fiction “Coppa del Mare” at the “Premio Città di Modica;” the second prize for poetry at “Noi e gli Altri;” the Gold Medal for Journalism at “Premio Emigrazione;” the second prize with a silver medal at the “Premio Europa” for fiction. Most recently, in 2012, I was awarded the Globo Tricolore Award for outstanding work in the publishing industry and my journalistic work; this award is considered the Italian Oscar of the publishing industry. I also won the Sons of Italy Literary Award in 2019 for my lifetime literary work, and I was recently inducted by the Marquis Who’s Who in the Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award. I feel very lucky to be recognized in so many ways, but I confess that the most emotional day for me was when, in 2012, I was asked to read poems on the commemoration of 9/11 in my city, Yonkers.

 

MTDD: 1990 was a very important year for you.  You became the Editorial Director and also the Publisher of L’Idea Magazine (Brooklyn, New York), and founder and Editor-in-Chief of OperaMyLove and OperaAmorMio magazines. 

What prompted you to start these activities?

TD: My interest in the Arts in general goes back to my experience with my father’s work and the friends of our family: writers, artists, opera singers, playwrights, etcetera.   When I came back to USA in 1987, Leonardo Campanile, who was the editor-in-Chief of L’Idea contacted me because he knew I had experience writing (I had published many poems, short stories, and technical articles in various magazines and I also had translated a couple of scientific books to round off my income). He just wanted a little help with the magazine. I started writing front page articles for him and in a short while I was asked to become the Editorial Director, a title that I still retain. That position gives me the privilege to decide on the content of the magazine.

Opera always fascinated me. I founded the two opera magazines initially as blogs, but they grew so fast and became full-fledge online magazines. The opera magazines were then absorbed in the Idea Graphics Group, which I and Leonardo Campanile formed a few years ago. The Group also includes two Imprints (Idea Press and Idea Publications) and obviously L’Idea Magazine. Also, one more imprint for Music scores is in the process of being born.

 

MTDD: Has your Italian heritage impacted your literary work and social involvement, and if yes, how and to what extent?

TD: I believe my being Italian influenced my literary choices throughout my whole life. I am part of the Sons of Italy Organization, wherein besides cultural activities related to Italy we provide scholarships for students of the Italian language. I financed, edited, and published anthologies of Italian American Writers. In our publishing company we produce musical scores of Italian composers, and our emphasis is always on Italian Americans and Italians, whether as writers or as subjects. So, I can safely say that my Italian heritage is the focus of all my literary activities as author, editor, and publisher.

I also write exclusively about Italy, Italians, and Italian Americans. For example, I am the author of a book of short stories in Italian (Caro Fantozzi, Scriptum Press, 2009), a bilingual (Italian and English) book of poetry (Sunny Days and Sleepless Nights, Idea Press, 2016), the bilingual book on art mentioned previously, four bilingual books on the libretti of the operas of the Italian composer Niccolò van Westerhout, (Doña Flor, Fortunio, Colomba, and Cimbelino), a bilingual book of essays on Niccolò van Westerhout (Doña Flor, an opera by Niccolò van Westerhout, Idea Publications, 2010), and three anthologies  (A feast of Narrative, an Anthology of Short Stories by Italian American Writers, Vol.1,Vol. 2, Vol. 3; Idea press 2020). In a few days my book in Italian on Federico Tosti, a prolific poet in Roman dialect, will be available, and by the end of the year two more books by me (the biography of my father in Italian and its version in English) will also be published.

There are also the books that I edit, all of them by Italians or Italian Americans. One more item I would like to add is the fact that my bilingual books can find an excellent use in the classrooms for students of Italian, especially the poetry one.

 


MTDD: The Italian-American Community in the US has always played a fundamental role in the evolution of the history of this country. What is your personal view on the matter, given all that happened over the last couple of years?

TD: It is very sad that the cancel culture does not have ‘culture’ in itself. All you need is someone making an accusation, even if unfounded as in the case of Christopher Columbus, and the people want an historical character to be erased from the public places, history books and our memories. By going along with that reasoning, we won’t have any historical characters to look up to. In a court, you have to be proven guilty before being sentenced, but with Columbus, it didn’t work like that. He was used as a scapegoat for all the horrible actions that the conquistadors and the following Europeans have committed against the natives and found guilty without a trial. The people just wanted blood and some of his statues went down. It was a lynching of the character. Some Italian Americans stated that there are better role models for our community and that we should let that go, but they are missing a point. He was for a long time a symbol of courage and sense of adventure for the Italian American community and removing it without due process is unfair. You cannot rewrite history. We are not going to ‘cancel’ Martin Luther King and John F. Kennedy because they were womanizers, are we? Are we judging historical characters on their achievements or otherwise?

Other than the cancel culture on Columbus, I believe our community should put more emphasis on attempting to correct the blunders of history, such as replacing Graham Bell with Meucci as the inventor of the telephone, for example.

We have a large number of Italian Americans, even presently, who have been the roots and strength of our American society and have been successful in so many fields. Let’s talk about them, let’s brag a little bit; we deserve it.

 

MTDD: Along with your commitment to the literary work, you have been very busy socially on several fronts, collaborating or at least being a member of a variety of organizations.

Could you tell us more about your involvement in these kinds of activities?

TD: In 1998-2004, I was a member and the Recording Secretary of the local Com.It.Es. (Committee of Italians Abroad), a representative body of the Italian community, directly elected by compatriots residing in New York and Connecticut. I have been member of the Lions, IAWA, the Sons of Italy, the New York Academy of Science, a few Italian Academies, the Circolo Culturale di Mola and the organizations connected to my day job, such as ASHRAE and RSES. I have organized food pantries collections, charity events, cultural presentations, and many other activities. Sincerely, though, I have now, since retirement from my engineering job, focused on my literary and publishing activities, finally completing projects that I hold dear and that previously could not be finalized because of the excessive time requirements.

 

MTDD: Tiziano, it has been such a pleasure meeting with you today. Thank you for taking part in this interview.

Is there any other information about you and your activities you would like to share with our readers, starting with telling them how they can get in touch with you or buy your publications?

TD:  Thank you for having me. I take this opportunity to remind our Italian and Italian American writers that I am available to consult on possible publication of their manuscripts and that people can reach me at editoreusa@gmail.com.

If a writer, instead, wants to contribute to our magazines L’Idea or OperaMyLove, they can contact me at lideaeditor@gmail.com

Furthermore, all my books are available on Amazon or they can be bought directly from the publisher (ideapress-usa.com). Signed copies can be bought from me, naturally, using one of the email addresses above.

I send my best wishes for success and serenity in life to all your readers.