Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Istanbul (O. Pamuk, 2006) - Maria Teresa De Donato’s Opinion

 Istanbul

(O. Pamuk, 2006)

 

Maria Teresa De Donato’s Opinion

 

 


Reading the first twenty pages of this book was a challenge. Having read thousands of books, I concluded that you might assume you are reading a good one based on its start and that there was no reason to continue reading if the book did not attract you from the beginning.

Therefore, I was on the verge of giving in and giving up on reading it.

However, while a part of me felt frustrated not being able to understand where the author was heading with it, a little internal voice encouraged me to keep reading it, suggesting I approach it from a different perspective—from another angle—as if I were about to discover a hidden treasure.

I am so happy to have listened to my instincts and, after overcoming this uncertainty about what to do, wholly immersed myself - body and soul - in reading this excellent autobiographical novel.

A world opened up to me! I was reading an image reflected in the mirror!

Istanbul, what it has been over the centuries, is reflected in the life and heart of the author just as the author is reflected in the city. All the changes that have occurred over the years, but also and above all over the centuries, are examined and retraced by Orhan Pamuk:

• the splendor of Istanbul from antiquity until its accelerated decline caused by admiration and the consequent desire for 'Westernization';

• the speed and equally dramatic nature with which a thousand-year-old culture - Byzantine and Ottoman - is swept away by the much coveted 'modernity';

• its splendid and once luxurious and prestigious buildings overlooking the Bosphorus Strait, now abandoned to their fate;

• an ancient and equally fascinating culture based on high values demolished in the space of a few decades;

• an artistic, cultural, and historical wealth thrown into the garbage and sacrificed to the God of Modernity and Consumerism.

 

A heartfelt thank you to Prof. Orhan Pamuk, the famous Turkish writer, screenwriter, and professor of comparative literature at Columbia University, for this splendid work and for making me fall in love with his hometown, which I hope to visit someday.

I recommend it to everyone, especially lovers of history and foreign cultures and those who wonder whether destroying peoples' cultural roots is wise.

 

https://www.amazon.it/Istanbul-Orhan-Pamuk/dp/8806219375/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_it_IT=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=2FD4IYKYCOARX&keywords=Istanbul&qid =1703625070&sprefix=istanbul%2Caps%2C278&sr=8-3

 

This article was also published at the following link: Istanbul