Tuesday, August 3, 2021

School, Novels, Poetry and Street Photography - Interview with Simone Consorti - by Maria Teresa De Donato

 

School, Novels, Poetry and Street Photography

Interview with Simone Consorti

by Maria Teresa De Donato

 


Today I am happy to host again my colleague-author, Simone Consorti, whose book review I already presented some time ago, that is I declare you husband and death, a work with a decidedly provocative title.

Simone's artistic production is varied and includes novels, poetry collections, and even street photography.

In this interview, we will, therefore, try to get to know him through his works and his art.

 

 

MTDD: Hi Simone and welcome to my Virtual Cultural Salon.

SC: Hello everyone and thanks for the invitation

 

MTDD: Simone, why don't you start by introducing yourself to our readers and telling us a little about yourself: studies, profession, and anything else you would like to share with our readers?

SC: I want to think that they are mainly my passions. I am, therefore, a photographer, a writer, and a traveler. As a profession, however, I have been teaching for more than twenty years and teaching is the only one of my passions that gives me food. I live a bit isolated, in certain periods I almost led the life of a misanthrope. When I don't go to school I spend my days on the beach, where I walk for hours, and at my desk, where I'm currently writing a bit of everything, from dialogues to short stories to a parody of Zeno's Conscience. I had many projects in mind, but the current situation has led me to a reductio ad unum and the only goal I have been left with is to finish and publish a quality book.

 

MTDD: How did your passion for writing start?

SC: The first book I read was Tom Sawyer. I immediately wanted to be the protagonist of the story, capable of living those adventures; at the same time, I realized that, even if I simply fantasized about them, without experiencing them, I would be fine. At twelve I felt that I wanted to write and that writing was the only way I had to live more lives.

 

MTDD: Has your being a high school professor and interacting with your students every day in your opinion paved the way for this business of yours and even inspired you in some cases?

SC: Teaching has to do with acting. You take on a role, you talk all the time, everyone is looking at you. Sometimes you don't wonder what you leave behind, but only whether the boys had a good time with you, whether they laughed, whether they were inspired by you. The classroom, in addition to being the auditorium of my monologues, is also the source of many of my stories. I dedicated a novel to my students, initially entitled "I don't even hate you" and then published with the title "On the run from school and towards the world", where the speaker is Valerio, a boy who hates adults. The sentence at the beginning of the book is: “Too childish to understand your world, too mature to accept it”. That book, for me, is a kind of auto da fé (= act of faith) because I analyzed myself from the perspective of my students.

 

MTDD: The titles of your books are always unique. Not only do they immediately catch the reader's attention, but they also reveal, often with sharp irony, the depth of the message you wish to communicate. The man who writes 'help' on water, published by Baldini and Castoldi in 1999, precisely reflects this desire of yours. Someone has defined it as an impressionistic book "with temporal and spatial changes".

Would you like to talk about it?

SC: That book is a delusion. You could edit the episodes in so many other ways. It is a voice that goes here and there as if it were talking to itself, aware that everything is aquatic, destined to be erased. A great quality of the book is its self-mockery. Several people told me that they laughed, unable to control themselves. Stefano Benni also told me, in one of the most gratifying and surprising calls I have received in my life. "Have they ever told you that you have a great sense of humor?" thus began.

 


MTDD: In 2008, a few years after the release of your first book, you published Sterile come il tuo amore (Sterile As Your Love) (Besa, 2008). In the synopsis, we read in part "a bizarre story that takes place mainly in the medical offices of andrologists, gynecologists, psychologists, including laboratory analyzes, sterile containers, test tubes, pregnancy tests, in the presence of white coats, nosy nurses, Freudian armchairs that they host psychoanalysts who cite Dante, in short, everything needed to demonstrate how even an inert spermatozoon can procreate, through artificial insemination, a child over whose name the parents have already begun to quarrel."

This statement sounds pretty much like a sentence taken from Dante's Inferno. In reality, it is a detailed description of a modern reality which, while tearing some smiles and even some laughter, arouses many worries.

Why did you decide to tackle these issues?

SC: The story starts from a personal story. The difficulty in having a child led me to imagine what could have happened if I had stayed with my partner. The basic idea is that the problem of a couple is not sterility, which with today's techniques, can be overcome, but the lack of respect and mutual esteem. In the book, divided into four chapters, He and She speak alternately, so through the streams of consciousness, we witness what they truly think of each other. A disaster!

 

MTDD: On the run from school and towards the world (Hacca, 2009) is a title that reflects a state of mind that most of us experienced when we were young.

Has something changed in recent decades or is the gap between school preparation and real life and the world of work still, in fact, boundless?

SC: My protagonist was an insecure rebel, who saw the professors as the enemy and contrasted him with a freakkettone who had a very alternative beach establishment. Without generalizing, but the kids today are tamer and homologated, compared to a few years ago. You rarely meet the rebel or simply the voice out of the chorus, capable of criticizing or contesting. I would like to go back and talk about it again in a new story which, for now, has as its working title "Scholastic Year".

[NOTE: “Anno Scolastico” – The Author has willingly misspelled the word “Anno”, which is “Year” with “Hanno”, that is “they HAVE”, which is a mistake some people do when writing. In Italian language the two words are, in fact, pronounced the same way]  

 

MTDD: As a teacher, how do you try to fill this gap to prepare your students for real life?

SC: I like to create a relationship of dialogue. I consider it my goal to make them feel good and, first of all, leave them with good memories. Secondly, I like to stimulate them. Rewards come when a guy reads a book or sees a movie you mentioned and chooses you to talk about it.

 

MTDD: A tempo di sesso (Besa, 2012), On this side of death (Besa, 2015), Othello, let me  introduce Ophelia to you (L’erudita, 2018), and The Rain in Krakow (Ensemble, 2019) are your other novels.

Can you describe the themes you have dealt with in these works?

SC: The first two books are similar: stories of girls fleeing oppressive conditions. They are enjoyable novels set in reality, real investigations. The Rain in Krakow, on the other hand, is an escape of a different kind, a degradation, a catabasis of integrated men who turn into vagabonds and beggars but who, however, manage to accept themselves in the end. “Today I give myself a gift/today I forget who I am/and even if I have thrown away my life/whoever I am I forgive myself.” Rain in Krakow is a fable and a parable. A book not very narrative and perhaps not very enjoyable but which I am very fond of.

 


MTDD: I Declare You Husband and Death is your latest collection of short stories you published in 2020. I had the pleasure of reading and reviewing it and I loved it. In part of the review, I stated, "A profound connoisseur and observer of the human soul, the author, who at times also reveals his poetic and nostalgic side, seems to affectionately make fun of the reader, leaving him/her with reassurance or anxiety – depending on his/her personal view and perception – that "The afternoon knows things that the morning cannot even imagine."

This statement of mine comes from my perception that you are not only multifaceted, but also in some respects unpredictable, ironic, and gifted with a great capacity for observation and analysis of characters and situations.

Do you recognize yourself in this description or how would you define yourself otherwise?

SC: I think that more than anything else I have a couple of qualities as a writer and as a man: the ability to observe and listen. I think it's about putting yourself at the right distance, without being indifferent but without even ending up too much in the middle. I love to tell stories that have happened to me or have been told to me, therefore starting from a real element, to wander. Writing short stories, in which everything is held and where everything has a link and a meaning, gives me the idea of ​​syntropy...

 

MTDD: What can you tell us about your poetry collections?

SC: My poetic world is very compact. We always find ourselves either in a war cemetery or in front of the sea. The season is always suspended autumn. The tone is ironic. The rhyme is alternates and occurs in the ending. My poems form a closed world, very musical and light-hearted. You can penetrate them starting from a cadence and I myself write to you only while walking if that cadence enters my head:

“It will also be a paradox

but just nowhere else

on earth

lies so much peace

like in a war cemetery”.

 

MTDD: In your bio, I read that you are also engaged in street photography.

How was this passion of yours born?

SC: Coincidentally. The writing wasn't enough for me. Publishers didn't publish me. An SLR was on offer. From there I first started photographing models and understanding that it was not my thing. Then to steal moments of life, hiding and hiding my face behind my camera, one of the things I really love to do.

 

MTDD: Any plans for the future?

SC: An exhibition in Mexico, poetry books translated in Chile and published in Argentina. Representing my plays. Releasing my book, different from all the other writings before and so much more that I would rather not tell you, otherwise you might understand that, more than projects, these are illusions.

 

MTDD: Thanks Simone for being with us today.

We wish to remind our readers how they can contact you and/or buy your publications?

SC: For those interested in getting to know me better, I can be found under my name, on various social networks. On a special page of the site, which my student Alessandra made me, there are links to books, which can also be purchased through Amazon, Ibs, etc. My site is currently this here: https://sconsorti1.wixsite.com/simoneconsorti. It used to be www.simoneconsorti.com, but they shut it down when I stopped paying the annual fee!