Monday, March 8, 2021

From Poetry to Thriller - Interview with Maria Cristina Buoso - by Maria Teresa De Donato


From Poetry to Thriller

Interview with Maria Cristina Buoso

by Maria Teresa De Donato


 

Today I am happy to introduce Maria Cristina Buoso to you. She is an author who is very active on social media and runs a blog, I was also a guest of, where she regularly publishes interviews and reports from various authors.

Let her, however, tell us about herself and her activities.

 

MTDD: Hi Maria Cristina and welcome to my Blog and Virtual Cultural Salon. It is a pleasure to have you as my guest.

MCB: Hi Maria Teresa, I am happy to be your guest and to know your readers and I wish to thank them because I see that they come to read the posts on my blog. So… Thank you.

 

MTDD: Maria Cristina why don't you start by introducing yourself to our readers and by telling us who you are, studies you have done, activities you have carried out and any other information you wish to share with our audience?

MCB: I started my academic studies in political science with a focus on sociology and criminology, but then I never managed to finish it, since life and work interfered with it. I am a curious person and this leads me to always be interested in many things in different fields, and to be further my knowledge. This is why I decided to bring this feature of mine to my blog as well. And it seems that people really like this choice of mine. But I am also "moody" so there are times when I read more one genre than another, I prefer listening to one kind of music rather than another, simply stated…. I tend to vary despite having some specific habits, for example, reading a good thriller relaxes me.

 

MTDD: What would you like to be known for to our readers? How would you like to be perceived as a woman and as an author?

MCB: I would like to connect with our readers through my writing, make them reflect, amuse, think, or even get angry if there is something that irritates them or makes them resonate with through some character or a line of a poem, or relax while reading my book, in the hope that they might share with me their thoughts about it. It would mean that as an author I did my job well and maybe they might be inclined to read another book of mine. As a woman ... I hope to always be faithful to myself and to maintain my consistency and sensitivity in life, with the people I meet or my friends and through my writing they might also perceive my own depth and reliability.

 

MTDD: When and how did your passion for writing start?

MCB: My passion for writing can be said to have been a direct consequence of my love for reading. I discovered my passion for reading books in 3rd grade thanks to my teacher, and since then the pleasure of reading has never left me; sometimes I take a break or slow down but it never disappears, there are too many beautiful things to read. In fifth grade I said to myself: “Maybe I could write a story too". So I started with short stories in middle school as a challenge towards my Italian teacher ... I started with poems and ... since then, I kept writing new things.

 

MTDD: So far you have published fairy tales, poems, short stories, scripts, novels, and thrillers.

What is your favorite genre and why?

MCB: I don't have a genre that I prefer; it depends on the need for writing and telling of the moment, or on my need to see what I can accomplish. I wrote the first script when I was very young; I didn't even know how to do it… because I had read about a competition and I wanted to participate… At that time there was no internet and I lived in a small town .. so I decided to go to the theater to watch a performance and asked the actors. I was lucky. I found actors available to talk to me; I am not sure that I would be as lucky today as I was back then.

 

MTDD: In 2017 it was the turn of Anime - Quando una scelta ti sconvolge la vita (Souls - When a choice brings your life upside down) centered on the awareness and consequent liberation of the self, a theme present in the literature of all eras and always very relevant.

Tell us how you ended up writing and publishing this book, the themes you have considered and the goals you have set yourself to achieve through your literary work.

MCB: The elaboration of this book was long, I mean, ... a friend of mine had a friend who had found himself at some point in her life in the same situation as my protagonist and she always said to me “why don't you write a story about…. " I state that at that time this topic was not dealt with as it is now, there was even little talk of it, and I did not want it to be the same as many other stories; I could not find the right angle to approach it from so I kept postponing. Then one day I had an intuition and Anime was born. It is divided into two parts and with the point of view of the 3 subjects who are shocked by this radical choice. The protagonist who becomes aware of himself and the moment he finally makes the decision and has to communicate it to his wife and daughter. I titled it Souls because there are 3 souls confronted with fears, feelings, love, and mutual respect. Until now, the reviews for this book have always been positive.

 

MTDD: Earlier this year you published Vernissage, a thriller set in the art world.

What can you tell us about its themes, characters and above all the reason that prompted you to write it?

MCB: Vernissage is the first of three thrillers set in Treviso and with the same protagonist as Chief Inspector Ginevra Lorenzi. The idea came about by chance after I saw a painting exhibition. I don't remember exactly what triggered the idea, it's been too long ago. The narrative structure is classic, and I reveal immediately who is the murderer, but the reader, however, keeps reading my book until the end because they want to understand whether I am able to catch them or not. The culprit is a female serial killer who kills with poison and sex. Those who love the genre know that female killers are not much less serial killers than men. During the story, however, I will introduce the various characters with their past and what led them at that moment to be there with their light and dark sides, including the killer.

The two thrillers that follow will have implications that will blow you away, but I'm not going to reveal anything to you, if this goes well then there will also be the other two 

 

MTDD: Do you have any plans for the future that you want to mention to our readers?

MCB: In a few weeks (depending on when you publish this article) my book of poems “Splinters of Words” will be out. So to follow the reports and reviews of the two books, it seems obvious to me. Re-edit the second yellow. Pick up a crime story started years ago and finish it. And some other ideas for the head of stories to write ... in short, as you can see it is only time that is missing , I forgot ... and the Blog, which is going well, still amazes me for this, I did not expect it, thanks to all ... but this involves a greater commitment on my part.

 

MTDD: Thank you Maria Cristina for participating in our interview. I hope to have you again as a guest in the future.

If there are readers who want to buy your publications or just get in touch with you, how will they do it?

MCB: https://mcbuoso.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/398680928089408 (this group was named after the protagonist of the thriller Vernissage)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/366743647118908 (my salon born after the publication of Anime)

https://www.instagram.com/mcbmipiacescrivere/ (born one year after the literary group)

 


 

Link 1: https://www.amazon.it/Anime-Quando-scelta-sconvolge-vita-ebook/dp/B076MMV27Z/ref=sr_1_16?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1510138533&sr=1-16&keywords=lettere%2Banimate%2Beditore

Link 2: https://www.youcanprint.it/fiction/fiction-generale/anime-quando-una-scelta-ti-sconvolge-la-vita-9788871122007.html

 

MCB: Thank you for this chat. I wish for the people who follow me through your group to know me better and for me to repeat this experience in the future. Thanks for hosting me. I also hope that my books might intrigue you all and I invite all readers to leave their opinion both on my blog and on Amazon.

Thanks to everyone.