Thursday, September 2, 2021

Spirituality, Religion, and Mystic Life: The Fascinating World of Anneli - Interview with Anneli Sinkko - by Maria Teresa De Donato

 Spirituality, Religion, and Mystic Life: 

The Fascinating World of Anneli

Interview with Anneli Sinkko

by Maria Teresa De Donato






Today I am very pleased to host a dear friend and colleague author I had the privilege to work with in the past: Rev. Anneli Sinkko, M.Phil. (Retired)

Anneli is a very smart lady living a very interesting and inspiring life as we are going to discover next. She probably would summarize that by stating that she is “just an old lady” but I can assure you that nothing could be further from the truth. 

What I have always admired in Anneli is that despite being bright and highly educated, she is also a very down-to-earth and humble person – something very rare to be found nowadays.

By her admission, Anneli is mystic by nature and has experienced visions, dreams, and signs from her Lord.

That being said, I am going to welcome her and let her introduce herself.



MTDD: Hi Anneli, and welcome to my Virtual Cultural Salon. I am very happy to have you here as my guest today.

AS: Thank you Teresa - how exciting to be interviewed - I am delighted to be here.



MTDD: Anneli, why don’t you start by introducing yourself to our readers and telling us about your studies, profession, and whatever you wish to share with us?

AS: I am an old woman, 83 now, born in Finland  - living in Australia. When I was a little child I got a birthday book with statements on each birthday advising what a person born on that day should do when they grow up. In it, the reading for the 4th of January was: “carve a traveling staff from the tree of knowledge.”  So – I’ve been pursuing wisdom/knowledge most of my life. I am fascinated by the Biblical interpretations of various scholars and sometimes seeking discoveries still to be found. Languages of Hebrew and particularly koine Greek also bring new understanding to ancient texts and I love teaching what I have learned. I also love preaching because then I can see how the living word becomes flesh and changes the lives of others and I feel that I have fulfilled my calling as a minister.



MTDD: Though born in Finland, decades ago you decided to leave your homeland and emigrate to Australia. 

Can you tell us about the major challenges you met and how you were able to adjust to a new culture?

AS: The first shock was when we went to a restaurant in Melbourne and my husband ate oysters. I didn’t know he liked them - I have never been a big fan. Because I spoke English it was reasonably easy to adjust - but I also realized that Australia is a very dry continent and hot. When my daughter was just a few weeks old I had to put her in a basket in a bathroom and turn the shower on because we had a sandstorm and no air conditioner. I think I adjusted well - my first job was to be a taxi driver - one of the first female ones in Brisbane.

 

MTDD:  Spirituality and Religion have always been the center of your life. 

Let’s talk about them and the need you felt over the years to get more involved in whatever church you attended.

AS: My problem is that I am to a degree perfectionist and quite often feel sick when somebody presents an unworthy statement or message about God and his Kingdom. And it is also true what they said at the Trinity Theological College that some people love me while others hate me. So I lived most of my life in a black and white world. Perhaps it reflects Finland where winters are so dark and summers so light; also a similar duality can be found in John’s Gospel where God is totally good and evil is totally bad. I wonder why people cannot see the evil present in our world. What saddens me is that the church is seeking to adjust to the world’s parameters instead of being the Church!



MTDD: From the Lutheran Church you attended both in Finland and in Australia, as soon as you relocated there, you then became involved with the Aboriginal Inland Mission in Inala, Queensland where you were made an honorary Auntie

Can you tell us about that experience of yours and how you think it might have further enriched your life? 

AS: I loved my Aboriginal friends - they sent me to ministry. I also was involved with the Fijian church and it was their deep spirituality that gave me so much love all around. You see, loving one another is the most powerful commandment and the most important spiritual gift ever given to the followers of Jesus Christ.



MTDD: During the late ’70s and early ’80s, your studies led you to the Trinity Theological College and then to the University of Queensland where you graduated with Honors in the Studies of Religion.  Thanks to your academic studies, Anneli, you can read both classical Hebrew and ancient Greek, which, along with Aramaic, are the main languages used in the original Holy Scriptures (The Bible).

To what extent did those studies, as well as learning these ancient languages, help you to better understand the Scriptures, strengthen your faith, and be more effective in your Christian Ministry?

AS: The studies I was able to attend at the University of Queensland opened my eyes to see the beauty of ancient languages and the richness of the Scriptures. I was fortunate enough to have excellent loving teachers who shared my enthusiasm and encouraged me to excel. During that time I was not only a student but grew up to become a teacher.



MTDD: You have been the first Finnish female ordained as the Minister of the Word with the Uniting Church in Australia and have devoted your life to preaching the Word of God, teaching, lecturing, and helping others. 

What can you tell us about this great accomplishment and what it meant to you and your Church?

AS: The Church was very wary of me. I was the odd one out. I believed what was written in the Bible. They were amazed that I was able to achieve a Master of Philosophy degree but uncomfortable that I had my ideas of the way the church was moving towards the world and not towards the Christ crucified.



MTDD: What are some major differences that you have noticed over the years among the religious organizations/churches you have attended and how they might have affected your faith and ministry?

AS: In our church, we have many portals through which people are trying to get a glimpse of God. But what do they see? These studies lead to the world and the church is lost in the many dark corridors which promise opportunities but do not lead to the only source of life: Jesus Christ. Now that I am old I can see more clearly where we are going wrong but because I am old there is not very much I can do about it. So I pray - and pray and pray...



MTDD: You have defined yourself as a mystic.

Why? And are there any experiences you may wish to share with our readers about it?


AS: Anam Cara Books mentioned me as a ‘modern mystic’…Well, I don’t know about that - perhaps I am. Where I am - I am living in two worlds: this present world and the world where God lives. …I have experienced visions of Jesus and have exorcised demons. But then - perhaps we all should have this kind of encounter with the Divine and for some reason, we don’t. I asked my Lord why others cannot see him walking along the streets of our world and he answered to me; smiling sadly: they don’t believe in me.  Why it has to be me - I don’t know…

 

MTDD: How did you end up being a writer?

AS: I have always written; The Master’s thesis became a book - thanks to you Teresa. I would never have dreamt about writing a book. Thank you ever so much. …The other one: God is bigger than Google became a book because I was almost forced to write it - being ill for such a long time.



MTDD: In 2016 we joined our efforts, knowledge, and expertise and authored the book Hunting for The TREE of LIFE: A Spiritual Journey in the Garden Traditions I have been asked more than once who might be interested in this publication and benefit from it. So far, I have always replied that everybody can benefit from it and that the potential reader must not necessarily be a religious person but rather an individual interested in spiritual matters and open to evaluate different points of view, maybe even to question his/her own beliefs…

How would you reply to that question and why?                                     

AS: The book will benefit a serious scholar - definitely. But it also opens a new way of seeing things to a person who seeks certainty in their faith life or just security in worldly life. A long time ago I saw books that were named ‘Everyman’s Books’…… Hunting for the Tree of Life is an Every Man’s book because it gives answers to basic questions of life; ‘Does God exist?’; ‘Who is Jesus?’; ‘Why there is suffering?’  … ‘Is there Eternal life?’ - and so on.




MTDD: Symbolisms, metaphors, and alike have always intrigued me, and that’s why books such as the Bible attract me. 

Why do you think symbolisms and metaphors fascinate people and how they can help them?

AS: Quite often Jesus taught using parables. Take one, well-known about the Prodigal Son. This story teaches that God loves you no matter what you have done. If you look at the Song of Songs - well it reads like a sexy novel. But it is an allegory of the loving intimate relationship between God and Israel - and later on between Christ and the church. The basic function of the Bible is that when you study it the book itself reads you. 



MTDD: In 2017 you published God is Bigger than Google, a book with a catchy title I had the privilege to read and review. In my review, I partially stated, 

“It completely mesmerized me.

In addition to the title, which is already striking in itself ... Her message goes straight to the reader's heart and, regardless of whether we agree with her or not, we can all relate to her.”

How did you end up writing this book and how did you come up with such a title?

AS: I was sick in the hospital for 9 long weeks and 9 operations on my poor leg - and my Lord Jesus had my undivided attention. He asked me to write a book about Him and me; how I met him and how we traveled together. It was more than anything a deeply spiritual experience and from it, I learned that to find Lord Jesus perhaps we all should be placed in a need of pain and silence - how else would we seek God’s help? Perhaps this covid is not a curse but an opportunity to seek the Lord. What do I know - old woman. 




MTDD: If you could summarize your life so far… How would you describe it?

AS: An exciting journey - and haven’t finished yet.



MTDD: Anneli, it has been a pleasure meeting with you. 

We want to remind our readers that the publications we mentioned are both available on the Amazon Distribution Channels and can also be ordered at the bookstores.

How can they get in touch with you?

AS: Just Google Amazon - look for our book about Hunting the Tree of Life or my small offering: God is bigger than Google. I am also on Facebook and have sermons [or talks] on YouTube: ‘Anneli’s Place’ Thanks for having me Teresa - you are a star!